About MNMDS (R.O.S. Reg. No. 3839-11-WKL)
a) What are Movement Disorders (MDs)?
MDs are abnormal body movements which are caused by a wide range of brain disorders. MDs consist of the following;
- Ataxia (loss of co-ordination of body movement) – Spinocerebellar ataxia e.g. inherited disorders.
- Dystonia (abnormal position of body parts due to excessive muscular contraction) – e.g. inherited disorders, brain injury and others.
- Parkinsonism (conditions characterized by slowness of movement, tremor and body stiffness) – Parkinson’s disease, secondary parkinsonism, parkinsonism-plus syndrome.
- Tremor (uncontrollable trembling of hands or legs) – Parkinsosn’s disease, Essential Tremor.
- Dyskinesia (uncontrollable swinging of body parts) – e.g. Wilson’s disease and drug-induced side effect.
- Myoclonus (“shock-like” contraction of muscle)
- Restless Leg syndrome
- Tics (abnormal muscle contraction resulting in jerky body movement and uncontrollable voice).
b) What is the impact of MDs in Malaysia?
- It is estimated that there are 90,000-100,000 people who suffer from MDs in Malaysia. Nobody is spared – both young and old are affected by MDs.
c) Rationale for the setting up of MNMDS
- MDs are a significant health burden in Malaysia, and result in life-long physical and mental disabilities. Therefore there is a strong need to provide support for patients with MDs.
- Apart from Parkinson’s disease, there is currently no support group for other types of MDs in Malaysia.
d) Objectives of MNMDS
- To provide moral support for patients with MDs.
- To provide health education for patients with MDs, especially on the recent advances in the treatment of MDs i.e. brain surgery.
- To raise fund for the Lloyd Tan Parkinson’s Trust Fund (provides financial assistance for Parkinson’s patients who need to undergo brain surgery as a specific treatment for Parkinson’s disease)
- To coordinate the health-related activities for patients with MDs throughout the whole country.
e) Future Plan
- Parkinson’s & Movement Disorders Care Centre (PMDCC)
This is a multi-purpose centre which is equipped with facilities for physiotherapy and occupational therapy, mini-library, meeting room and secretariat of MNMDS.
- Website (www.lloydtan-trust.com)
This is the official website of Lloyd Tan Parkinson’s Trust Fund and MNMDS. It provides a comprehensive and up-to-date information on all aspects of Parkinson’s disease and MDs.
This newsletter benefits those patients who do not have access to information regarding MDs.
- Facilitates the setting up of support groups and care centres for patients with MDs in other states of Malaysia
This is consistent with the role of MNMDS as a national coordinator of health-related activities on Parkinson’s and MDs.