Rare Parkinson's Heroes Who Changed the World
Mr. Lloyd Tan is the icon and hero of the Parkinson's community. His spirit lives in us forever. Let us feel his energy as he guides us to live with Parkinson's, reaches out to us to give hope and inspiration.

First recipient of trust fund successfully underwent DBS surgery

Mr Pandirajan Subramanian (picture), 45, has successfully undergone DBS surgery at University Malaya Medical Centre, Kuala Lumpur on 6th April 2010. He is the first Parkinson’s patient to receive the financial assistance (RM40,800, i.e. 60% of the cost of hardware of RM68,000) from Lloyd Tan Parkinson’s Trust Fund. YB Dato’ Sri Liow Tiong Lai, Health Minister of Malaysia, presented the mock cheque to Mr Pandirajan during the World Parkinson’s day 2009 celebration.

The DBS team consisted of Professor Tipu Aziz (Consultant Neurosurgeon, Oxford, UK), Professor Vickneswaran (Consultant Neurosurgeon, UMMC, Kuala Lumpur), Dr Kalai Arasu, Consultant Neurosurgeon, UMMC, Kuala Lumpur) and Dr Lim Shen Yang (Consultant Neurologist, UMMC, Kuala Lumpur).

Currently Mr. Pandirajan is recuperating at home. We hope that with the success of the surgery, he will be able to enjoy a better quality of life. We will keep you updated on his progress.

April 2009

Pandirajan Subramaniam

Mr. Pandirajan Subramaniam, 43 years old, has been having Parkinson’s since the age of 32. He had been working as a maintenance staff in a palm oil refinery factory until 2008, when the progression of his Parkinson’s was causing him to fall frequently at his work place and his slurred speech was difficult in communicating with his colleagues. That was when he was advised by his manager to be medically boarded out by SOCSO. Since then, he has been receiving monthly pension of RM1,809 from SOCSO.

He currently lives in a low-cost flat in Pasir Gudang, Johor. His wife works as tailor, earning RM700 – RM800 per month. Both his children (daughter age 15 and son age 14) are schooling.

In October 2008, he submitted an application for financial assistance from the Lloyd Tan Parkinson’s Trust Fund, in order to undergo the Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS) brain surgery. He is aware that the financial assistance from Lloyd Tan Parkinson’s Trust Fund is amounting to 60% of the cost of hardware only. His siblings, cousins and other relatives have all agreed to raise the remaining amount to cover 40% of the cost of hardware and cost of hospitalisation.

The Working Committee, after having deliberated on his application and conducted a home visit in December 2008, unanimously decided to recommended to the Trustee to award the financial assistance of RM40,800 (60% of the cost of hardware of RM68,000) to Pandirajan. The Trustee has approved the recommendation.

He is scheduled to undergo the DBS brain surgery at a government hospital within the coming months. His progress will be updated in this website.